2017年1月2日 星期一

All dances share the same technique foundation

Kandykane Dancing


As I always say, all dances share the same technique foundation, which are centre and weight , body separation.

There are a lot of articles discussing about the centre and weight, now let us look at the body separation. In fact, I think I just need to show you some examples then you can absolutely understand what I mean.

Example 1:
Headslide, yes the first impression would be Belly Dancing. However when Kiwi and I were doing head slide and arm movements, I was practicing for Belly Dancing while he was working on Hip Hop.

Example 2:
We both were doing body roll, I was doing it for Latin Dancing but he was doing it for Street Dancing, but geez, it can be Belly Dancing or girls Kpop. Oh and strip dance or Burlesque also.

Example 3:
I need to stretch and split, but who know I what I am after, Ballet, Jazz or Latin Dancing?
These are just few example and there are lots more to tell, like a spin can be in all and every kind of dance style. Although the technique foundation is the same, each dance genre is unique and must be presented accordingly.

I point out the common ground of dances not because I want to simply say all dances are the same, rather, I want everyone alerts that it is indeed necessary to identify the characteristics and express the differentiation with exceptinal skills. Otherwise, we will lose our dance. And even worse, the loss of a dance means to loss the culture and and history it carries along.

We need to conserve our dances intently.


...................................................