2024年2月5日 星期一

To have a Musical Choreography

Novice dancers who approach the studio with specific purpose are usually not keen dancers- easy to understand as the keen ones must have already enrolled dance sessions. 

Entitled 'dance instructor', I have no choices but to write a reasonable routine which suits the learners' level. This wiuld be the ideal case. 

Things are not always ideal. 

Most of the time, they come without a clue on their song choices. 'We want to try out different tempo and styles before making any decisions.' they said. 

Um... Also unstandable. If I were the learner, I would also request the same. 

However, from the view point of an instructor, this is not friendly at all. 

I in fact would like to have a song and write a structured choreo in advance. If I know the song in advance, I can fit the quiet moments with slightest movements, match the high pitches with more exciting moves. This way, I can ensure the product to be more musical. 

In spite of my preferring to having a structured routine, learner couples may like to have a try on various approaches to test their own preference and abilities. 

Therefore, during the first class we may have a few short routines that consist of only the basics. I myself am fine with this, but to be honest, these short patterns can only let complete beginners the slightest feeling towards the dance style, it would be quite impossible to see if the dance style fit the songs played. 

Why? 

Because we can do any Watlz figures to any songs with time signatures 3/4, 6/8, 12/8... Same is true to apply any four-beat patterns to any songs with time signatures 2/4, 4/4, 12/8...

We can apply the steps to a few bars of music, but we can't fit the same sequence to every song, simply because we can't tell when to end the verse, when to start the chorus, whether there is a tag... 

There are too many uncertainties. 

Think about it, if we can apply the same amalgamation yo any songs, there is no future for choreographers at all. 



++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Follow me for more updates on: