2017年11月20日 星期一

The Difference between Social Dance, Show Dance and Latin Dance

Kandykane dancing

**please be sure that this is only my personal opinion**

First of all, I have to admit that I don't dance social dance. Yes! I teach Ballroom and Latin Dances, but I do not dance social dance. The two things do not contradict. 

Social Dance, as the name suggests, is some dances that allow you to socialize. When I do not socialize myself through dancing, I am not going to say I do social dance.

I do 'Show' Dance (but I do not depend on it solely); however, even if I choose Samba or Salsa, ChaChaCha or Rumba to dance in my showcase, I do not think that is Latin Dance. Show Dance, as the name goes, is to show off. 

I love Latin Dancing, no matter it is partnered or solo, I love to shine my Latin Dance, not meaning to flaunt, but to feel my energy through the body and enjoy the harmony it brings to my body and mind. I love to Latin Dance with a partner, because I know he is enjoying the dances as much as I do, not because we can show our technique to the others, but because of the tightly bonded connection between us, and also because of the undeniable yet unspeakable joy moves and conveys between us. 

Social Dance is danced in social functions, you may or may not dance with someone you know. The random partners dance the basic moves, the aim is get comfy with the one who is dancing with you. You feel like you are getting to know each other, and then the song fades. And you may or may not dance with him/her again. It will be a bonus if you happen to have a good lead/follower, but generally it is calm and peaceful and friendly and fun. 

Show Dance is nothing but to flaunt. Give all the showy moves and WOW factors in a 3-minute song and have the applause in return. You choreograph an exciting routine with advanced moves, aerial moves, close moves, and even create some of originals so that you can surprise your audience. It is never boring, since 'spectacular' is what you need. It takes time to familiar yourself with the carefully designed amalgamation, and enjoy the thrill it brings, and of course stay proud when meeting the envying eyes from the crowd. 

Latin Dance an energetic arts which allows you to express and beautify yourself. When it is partnered, it encourages you to talk through the body, it tempts you and your partner to explore more possibilities; when it is solo, it gives you an emotional leak, exercise your body and achieves the body-mind balanced state. Moves could be careful, subtle, spunky, hot, romantic, fierce, aggressive, or anything depends on the mood. It sometimes looks showy as the mood may go up and down in any time; but if I need to describe it, I'll say it is loving, caring and daring.

Oh, please you don't need to agree with me. I welcome discussions, but truly this is what I think of Dancing. 

...................................................
instagram.com/kandykanedance