2023年9月4日 星期一

Does the lead need to be taller?

The lead needs to be taller? Leading technique matters more. 

I have lady-lady couples quite a lot, and one of the most commonly questions they asked is ‘should the taller one be the lead?’

Yes, this is a good question, and my answer is ‘not necessary’. 

Usually we ask the taller ones to lead, it looks much better for the taller to support the partners, and obviously it would be much easier for the taller to ‘stir’ the partners during turns.

Apparently, easier. 

But not necessary.

I myself am a short lead (a 153cm tall lady), in class I rarely have students shorter than 153cm, so I usually lead the taller partners. 

None of them says it’s hard to follow, nor they say it’s uncomfortable. In fact they comment that following my lead is much easier than following their own partners. 

Hhhhhh, why?

Because leading skills matters more than physical appearance.

Leading is a subtle but not a tiny thing. A very slight nudge is enough to signal the lady to turn; a pull on time ensures the lady to check on a particular beat; a gentle press in the palm stops lady’s sabotage…

So every time when I am asked if it matters for the shorter to lead, I’ll say, ‘Leading skill matters more than your height.’

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Follow me for more updates on: