2020年5月18日 星期一

Watch the Basics



These days due to the COVID19, all group classes have been suspended. As a person who depends on teaching dancing for a living, this is a very bad news. However, due to the sudden 'Time Out', there has been a lot of spare time, as a dance lover who has been advised not to crowd the floor, the best pastime during the time is to watch and rewatch the world class dances. 

Watching the high quality dances in fact aspires me a lot. Among all, the combined use of various partner positions and the basic patterns gives me the most inspirations.



Among all, I like the Toyko one, especially when all competition couples compat against one another doing the basic steps (link here). 

I had been told a thousand times by my coach  that the basic steps were the foundation of everything, and thus I wanted to advance my skills, practising the basic steps would be the key. However, just like all the other proud learners, I was fascinated by various show-off patterns. I used to 'worship' those lifts and drops and twist-around, until at I started to teach. 

Now I believe that unless you become one of those who instructs a class yourself, you can never get the secret of advanced technique. It is because seldom can people understand that the key is simply the basics, which is the thing you first learn on the floor when you started your very first lesson.

The most advanced technique is right in your hands but you keep overlooking it!



...................................................
Follow me for more updates on:

KandykaneDance