2015年12月14日 星期一

Start to live on Dancing (part 2)- Strive Hard


Wedding Dance, the very first thing I did when I approached in the dance career, it just didn't turn out good enough, I mean, you can't keep doing Wedding Dance for a whole year. The most of First Dance could give us is a chance to drag them to the normal class. Well... yes, I had hoped that too, however, it is just as hard as getting a complete beginner to the regular floor. Couples do have their concern, and they are willing to work hard, which is good. However, it seems to me that their passion also leaves after the wedding. Some may like to go for socials once in a while, but that doesn't make a nice income source. Married couples in Hong Kong, especially the locals, are not used to social dance. And actually not many couples would do First Dance on their big day, there is limited market here if only Western couples, or returning Hongkongers consider Wedding Dance. It was indeed not a good business for me as a First Dance coach, it has become an occasional job for me and I devote most of my time to the regular classes.

Last week, you learned that I had a promising dance playgroup, but if you think this is the formula for setting up dance classes and I could just copy it and establish another dance playgrouo somewhere else, you are probably wrong. The same thing may not be alright in a different location. I tried to apply the logic to run another Parents & Kids dance group somewhere, I lost money right away. I got a number of enquiries, and a lot of yes when I invite them to class. But it turned out that the actual attendence is just like 1 or 2 coming. And you already know that in the end the only 2 would be gone- which is just the truth. I have an interesting observation, that the cheapest promotion courses are not welcome, parents do not mind to pay triple for regular classes, free trial classes are just not necessary. And if I have promotion classes, the absent rate is way too high that I sometimes have an empty room.

Well, among all, there is a job that even a freshly graduated dance teachercan easily land on- dance interest class in school. It is because soundly qualified and experienced teacher may not like this. Since the schools run ther interest class programs according to the school calendar, which means the classes are distorted when there are school holidays, examination and school functions. They want the classes at like right after school (which is also prime time to get high-paid private job), offer 15% lower than the market rate, and schedule you to around 24 classes only in the whole year. I really can't think of a reason for good teachers to fit in this job, except they are hoping to drag students to their private classroom. Yes, it is not a secret that we want to drag students from every source we have, and that is why when the mission is done, we leave.

part 1- The Key is Versatility
part 2- Strive Hard
part 3- Market Yourself as a Dance Coach

...................................................